Don’t get me wrong I understand that plastic is what makes a lot of our technology possible with its light weight and moldable qualities, but that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about the unbelievable amount of plastic used in packaging from gallon jugs of milk, to water bottles, lunch meats, grocery bags, and on and on.
With that in mind I have always tried to use as little as I could. Some of the ways I do this is by:
- Providing my guest with a reuseable water bottle, so we don’t get cases of disposable plastic water bottles.
- Using cloth grocery bags that can be uses over and over to not use plastic bags (why is it stores insist on putting things in a bag even if you have one item, double bagging, and bagging large items that already have handles?)
- Whenever possible get milk and OJ in paperboard cartons instead of plastic jugs.
- Getting drinks in aluminum cans instead of plastic bottles.
- Trying to get items using less packaging if possible (ie lunch meat in a bag instead of bagged, then in a plastic container, and then wrapped).
These are just a few examples of how I try and they can be implemented by anyone regardless of living on a boat (in fact easier in a house with lots of choices). I am curious what you do in your home to reduce plastic (I may be able to use your ideas), so leave a comment below telling everyone your ideas.