The last upgrade I did this off season was to replace both of my sails. Gone are the worn out, stained, and stretched out sheets of fabric I had before. Now I have crisp and white sails flying off the boat. If it makes sense you can hear the hear the newness in the sails.
Jorge in Puerto Rico (he is my rigger and very good if you need someone) measured and ordered them from Neil Pryde in Connecticut. Both sails are made of dacron and the jib is 8 oz while the main is almost 10 oz (this refers to the thickness of the sail).
When I arrived to the boat Jorge already had them bent on and partly rigged. All I had to do was finish rigging the sails with sheets, halyards, and reefing lines. This is where the only issue crept up. Turns out my new sail’s reefing point are just a little higher than the old ones and the lines are to short. To solve this issue I moved each reefing line down (disregarding the first and shortest one) one level and bought a new line for the 3rd reef and now all is good.
I can’t wait to sail around the Virgin Islands with my guest this year and see what differences I can detect in the performance. I am sure it will be huge!!!!!